Friday 24 July 2015

Visiting Portsmouth



Happy Friday, everybody!  This week Josh and I went to Portsmouth with our friend Jack to do a bit of shopping.  I quite like Portsmouth for shopping because Cascades shopping centre has old goodies like Primark and TK Maxx but very close by is Gunwharf Quays which is just a minefield of various bank account obliterating outlet stores.  The only thing it really does lack is a reliable coffee shop which isn't the likes of Costa or Starbucks, somewhere with a bit of pizazz, y'know!?  We made a bit of a mistake going for coffee at Fagin's Cafe, which tasted like milky water from a cheap imposter posing as a coffee machine (I have my suspicions that my tastebuds are correct).  So, if you go, and like me hate coffee chains, I really would advise taking a flask - yes it's that dire a situation.  Luckily, the shops in Gunwharf made up for it!  My personal favourites are the Adidas store, where the longer you stay, the more shoes you really believe you need to buy, Kurt Geiger (to balance out the trainer purchases) and one called The Cosmetics Company Store...

I think The Cosmetics Company Store is an American chain, I've never seen the shop anywhere else but I always love 'just popping in' while I'm in Gunwharf.  It's a bit like a mini department store really, there's lots of premium branded items, but all sold at a discounted price (some discounts are minimal but others are decent) - the likes of Mac, Estee Lauder, Bobbi Brown, Clinique, Smashbox etc...  I went in looking for two items in particular: a new gel eyeliner, to replace my Benefit They're Real, and a pressed powder highlighter to try out instead of the cream one I've been using.  Having left Josh and Jack at the Adidas store I was free to browse to my heart's content - the shop is definitely not boyfriend-friendly - and actually found both things I was looking for!  Oh, the joy was unimaginable!  

So, without further ado, here are the bits and pieces I picked up while we were in Portsmouth:

Sunglasses & Necklace - Primark /  Candle - HomeSense / Powder & Nail Polish - Mac 
Eyeliner - Smashbox / Clear Nail Polish - Leighton Denny

 
This week I actually suffered a rather sad loss, when the arm of my French Connection sunglasses was suddenly and barbarically severed by the interior working of my handbag.  Don't ask me how it happened, I'm still in mourning... luckily enough I found these two babies in Primark to help nurse my sorrow.  Anyone who knows me will know I love round framed sunglasses, and these in particular have a lot of sass about them, don't you think?



I also love these darker framed ones, they remind me of the Ray-Ban style, except they were only £2, instead of a hundred and something (it was a no-brainer in my 'help-me-I'm-a-poor-student' mindset).  All sunglasses from Primark now come with a small soft case, which is a nice touch.  It might not save them from arm sever-ment (the grief is causing me to make up words now) but it will probably stop them getting minor scratches.  Every little helps, right...

I also got this b-e-a-utiful Jet Set Waterproof Eyeliner in green ivy from Smashbox, which was in a special extra 50% off section (I spent a long time there, don't worry) so came to only £5.63!!!!!  I will possibly do a separate review of this, maybe a comparison with the Benefit They're Real, so let me know if that would interest you!  Likewise, with this Mac High-light powder in Blush Pink... This was £16.25 instead of the £23 it says on their website.  Yesssss!




The last thing I got was this Mac Nail Lacquer in Fiestaware which I also love, and was only £3.50 (again, an extra 50% off).  I've never tried Mac nail polishes before but so far my impressions are good, the brush and rubbery lid makes the application really easy.  


Having put up this photo I'm aware of the rather dodgy lighting in the others... whoops!  Must've been too excited over all my new purchases.  

Ruby x

No comments:

Post a Comment